Monday, September 15, 2008

She's pretty "fly" for a...

I hate flies. They really, really annoy me. If there is one in the room, especially the kitchen, I cannot concentrate on anything else except killing it.

My family loves to leave the doors open. I am guilty of it too. It feels so good when the slight breeze comes in the house...the smell of outdoors...the sounds of laughing kids playing...it is all exciting.

But, with one...you get the other. (At least at my house this time of year.)

Today, was a day like many others where a tiny, virtually weightless creature (God's creature, I might add) was driving me crazy. I tried all day to kill that thing. I missed every time. While I was cooking dinner, E-straight from dance-was in the kitchen with me. I told her that the thing had been there all day and I could not catch it. She said, "OK, I'll get it!" I told her to "go for it" knowing that the fly would still be flying around well after bedtime.

In one swat, she nailed it! I was so happy, I gave her a dollar! (I do not normally hand out money for silly things like this, but it has been a running game this summer-you get a dollar if you kill the fly. They really tried hard, but I had never actually given any money away!) Anyway, 30 minutes and many door openings later, there was another fly on the window that we noticed during dinner. E got up, walked over to the window, took one swat and GOT ANOTHER ONE! We couldn't believe it! (The gross part was what was left on the window-he never even saw it coming.) But, the FUNNY part was how she calmly said, "Got it" and walked to the sink to wash her (gutsy) hand. I laughed for 5 minutes...it was too funny!

I did not give her another dollar...she knew better than to even ask...I think all E needed to know was that out of everyone, SHE got the flies! Those are a few things I love about her: she is not afraid to get her hands dirty and she thrives on making people happy. She will hold you in her arms forever at night just because she wants to be with you. E was like that when she was born...never an independent one, always a social one. Her teachers always say "E is a friend to everyone, and everyone wants to be her friend." Not because she is the most popular girl, but because she is a sweet girl who adapts to many circles and is nice to them all.

We are very proud of E. Not because she is the "Fly Girl" (although she is one "fly" girl!), but because she is God's girl. She truly understands His love, compassion, grace and mercy. She probably couldn't define those words if you asked her, but she lives them everyday and I personally grow because I am her mom. I have learned so much from her and thank God that she is in our family (and can kill flies!)

4 comments:

georgiamom said...

This is soo true. E is so sweet. I especially appreciate it because she is always so nice to the younger girls, like M. She has a great heart. Now, all you need to do is give the child some chop sticks and she'll be the next Karate Kid.

elizabeth said...

She means, Mr. Miyagi...and I thought the same thing reading this!!

E IS a very, sweet girl with a sweet and tender heart. You should be proud, and I know you are. She makes everyone feel at ease around her so I can understand why everyone wants to be her friend! Not to mention...absolutely beautiful as well!!

Joni said...

Can we borrow her for an afternoon? Mary Mac would think that's the BEST....and I have a few flies that won't leave us alone.

Jennifer said...

I agree with GaMom. E is PRECIOUS to younger children in a very special way.