Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Greatest Boy in the World...

I am not sure if you know this or not, but the Greatest Boy in the World lives at our house. He happens to be my son. The only reason that I can realistically say this is because I only have one son and, well frankly, this is my blog! If you don't like it or disagree, log off. Just kidding!

M calls G The Greatest Boy in the World quite often. I have to admit, sometimes when he is irritating one of his sisters, I do not think this is a deserved name. But, nights like this remind me that it is very well-earned.

G has his first flag football game tomorrow night. This child is OBSESSED with football right now, but he is too young to play. The closest thing we have for 6 year-olds is flag football. It is really a great sport to watch (and play).
{Side note: M and I played in Atlanta a few years just before and right after marriage for fun. It was REALLY fun until I got paired to defend "Pat," a 6 foot 3 inch, 200+ lb "woman" just because I was the tallest female on our team. I was scared to death. I just let her run on by and do whatever she wanted to do on that field. I do not think we won that game.}
Anyway, the boys have plays that they run. It is adorable. Of course, M and great friend L are the coaches. I am actually not sure who is more excited about the game tomorrow; the boys or their dads.

So, I am laying down, tucking G in tonight and he says, "Hey Momma, which play in my ESPN movie is your favorite?" Ummm...thinking..."The one we bought this summer?" (This was a $5 Wal-Mart purchase to ease the pain of no cable in the apartment during the move.) "Yes" he says. "Honey I don't really remember any of those plays. Which is your favorite?" He goes on to tell me about many of the plays in that movie (it is a highlight show).
Keep in mind that he hasn't watched this thing in months. I am looking at him thinking, "Boys are SO different than girls!" I remember while dating M being amazed at the sports information (stats and whatnot) that he could remember, but how quickly he could forget something that we had just talked about. It is a male quality that is with them at birth. And apparently my son has inherited this.

While watching the trailer for the new Richard Gere movie, my heart skipped at the intense romance...in the commercial! And I thought to myself, "What would M say to me responding like this?" And "Is this the way he feels when he sees a commercial for The Masters or The SEC Championship?" Heart skips a beat, he loses a breath? Probably. And is this how G feels about his game tomorrow and the favorite plays from last weeks game on tv? Probably.

So, not only is G obsessed with flag football, but he loves UGA football. He reenacts Knowshon Mereno and Matthew Stafford at home. It is great. He jumps over chairs, dives onto furniture catching balls, and runs through foam chairs pretending they are people. This is what a boy with only sisters has to do until Daddy gets home!

But one thing that truly surprises me about my boy is how smart he is. When E was born, I did everything with her. I played Baby Mozart, read to her in the womb, followed the book to turn her into a smart over-achieving first born. When G came along, I didn't have as much time to spend on his "early development." I was still busy with his 18 month old sister. (I had a lot of work to do.) And God showed me through all of that, that it didn't matter what I did for her or him (to a certain extent). He had a plan for them both and it did not include flashcards and sign language. G is very smart...on his own. When we sat down for his first Pre-K conference, our friend/his teacher told us that he was exceeding her expectations in her class... I was speechless. Honestly, I thought he was just going to be an athletic boy who did just enough to get by in school. His Kindergarten conferences were the same way...still shocked. Now, next week we have our first First grade conference, and I will let you know...things could be changing, we will see.

So, I tell you this, not to brag (only!), but to let you know what God has done so far in G's life. He has instilled in him a love for sports, school, his family, and for Him. G knows when he has gone against the Lord, and he has a truly repentant heart. He wants to be a good leader and make good choices. He obviously has a long way to go, but I know that G is going to continue to make us all proud. After all...he is The Greatest Boy in the World.

No comments: