Thursday, September 4, 2008

He's run away, again.

And at this moment I do not even care. That sounds terrible, I know. Who is she talking about? And more importantly, why doesn't she care? It's not my son. It's not my husband. It is my (sorry for the bad word, kids) STUPID DOG!!!

We have a gorgeous, chocolate Lab named (how original is this?), Buddy. He loves everyone. Kids can lay all over him, you can step on him, and he is perfectly potty trained. But, one thing that he likes to do is run away. He does this about once a month. He is very quiet and sneaky. Tonight, he pushed the iron gate open with his nose (I'm sure). It wasn't all the way closed because it is coming loose...long story...but I didn't think it was a problem because the thing weighs about 230lbs. Buddy found a way past that.

So, I get in my car...fuming...and go look for this dog...that I love. He likes to cross the interstate that we live on (some call it a 2 lane road, but I have watched cars FLY down it like they are about to take off) and visit the neighborhood across the street. It makes me very nervous with him crossing the road.

I drive around the neighborhood with my brights on, hoping nobody thinks I am looking for houses to break into, looking for his eyes to reflect back into mine. Most of the time I find him. Tonight, I have not. Sometimes he "spends the night out." Either way, when he gets home, he is exhausted. I don't do a good job of exercising Buddy, so when he returns from being out on the town, he gets very tired. He gets so tired that he cannot sleep. We say he gets "Jimmy legs." He cannot sit still, let alone sleep. This lasts for about 24 hours. I feel like I have a newborn when Buddy does this. He keeps me awake therefore, I am a grump.

So back to why I am so mad about this child of mine running away. What is he running from? What is he running to? Is it so bad here that he has to leave us once a month just to get a taste of what a good life is? He eats yummy food. He has a nice bed. We pet him everyday. I just gave him a bath! What more does a dog need? What more does a dog want?

I am off to look one more time tonight. He may have to spend the night with a friend. But, if he comes back tonight...I am on the lookout for doggy Benedryl.

2 comments:

georgiamom said...

I think you should have taught your dog better morals and values. It seems to me that he might be, not just a dog--but a dawg--a playboy---a ho dog. Good luck. I will be on the look out for your wayward, prodigal dog.

Savy-Bentons said...

I still get those "jimmy legs" too, of course not for the same reasons. Sorry he is running off. The manhood must go or you may have a basket of beautiful pups on your front door in a few months. Give him 3-4 regular pink benedryl. Ole Jack-a-roo takes them whenever he has the itchy scratchies. He weighs about 80lbs and 3-4 are good for him. He knocks out for a while. Hope it helps. Miss you, SBB